Scientists at the University of Toronto-Scarborough have studied the important role that the inner voice plays in controlling impulsive behavior.
They examined inner conversations such as “keep running when tired, stop eating even though you want one more slice of cake, or don’t have an argument.”
In one test, participants were shown different symbols on a computer screen and were told to press a button if they saw one type of symbol and to refrain from pressing the button if they saw a different symbol.
There were actually more “press” than “don’t press” examples in order to make the act of pressing the button an impulsive and repetitive response.
Repeating a word over and over in order to gauge any impact on their ability to do the test also blocked the participants “inner voice”. The repetition prevented any self-talk that would aid self-control resulting in impulsive behavior.
Researchers suggest that the correlation between mindfulness and self-regulation is perhaps the least surprising of the findings reported in mindfulness studies, because your level of mindfulness will in fact predict self-regulation in all aspects of your life.
In yoga philosophy there are progressively four states of the body and mind that an individual gains mastery over:
- first is control of the physical body
- second is control of the breath
- third is control of the senses
- and finally there is control of the mind.
Conscious awareness of thoughts, feelings, and emotions quietens the internal chatter of imaginary conversations and halts the playback of events based on interactions with other people that did not go as expected or was based on an imagined “sensing” of how other people felt.
The consequence of rising to external influences or emerging thoughts creates erratic spikes in emotions, feelings, and reactions, which in turn affect the energy that flows in waves through each of us.
With awareness, the senses enable us to be mindful of what we are thinking and feeling; whether we are demonstrating empathy for example, or whether our actions or non-actions are appropriate.
Simply put, mindfulness enables you to discern what you are thinking first and to respond accordingly, with no more speaking (or doing) before you think.
This heightened level of awareness also teaches the body and mind to relax by monitoring the senses fully and expanding mindfulness in all mental and physical activities. It allows you to release attachment to outmoded beliefs and use a clear perspective based upon what you actually perceive rather than having living life clouded by bias or emotions.
When you practice the action of awareness you will end up with the results of your conscious choices.
Affirmations
When you are exposed to a specific event, it is how your mind reacts that determines the response, rather than the actual event itself. When you are aware of the power of your intention and how it shapes yourself and the world around you, you recognize how uncontrolled emotions can keep you tied down in the very place you are struggling to get away from.
The past has no hold over me
I am in control of my thoughts and emotions
I make conscious decisions to follow one path or another
My life is brimming with bright choices and overflowing with joy and happiness.

Happiness is a state of mind and we can always choose to be happy. In my case, I created a special place where I can spend a few moments of silence. I surrounded it with a inspirational art that I collected over the years.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the acknowledgement and taking the time to read the blog. The award is appreciated.
ReplyDeleteHi Margaret,
ReplyDeleteVery beautiful post! To control thoughts and emotion is the most difficult task but you show us the light!
Love always
Sutapa
This is a favorite of mine which invites mindfulness in daily life, even in grief.
ReplyDeleteDo not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glint on snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumn rain.
~Joyce Fossen
Thank you for this blog. Peace and all good,
Diane
Hi Margaret!
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting this! I too practice everyday mindfulness and I do agree that being more conscious made me more calm and serene. My everyday meditation has helped changed my perspective in life.
great article! Affirmations are a very important part of changing your thinking. please check out my website where you can download powerful spoken affirmations set to hypnotic music. www.anxietyreliefaffirmations.com
ReplyDeleteI wish you well!